……….…………………………………….The Free Monthly E-zine of Vedanta Mission
Gita - the'word-form' of Lord Krishna :
(Translation of ten shlokas of a well known stotra on Bhagwad Gita)
1. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who revels in the pure heart groves of great Rishis; who attracts the ‘Gopis’ - the ever-endearing minds of the people all over, and who plays flute, every word of which gives out sweet meaning.
2. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who frees our hearts from all passions and lusts by sucking out the poison in it, as had been done by the Lord himself when he sucked the poisonous breasts of Pootna (the Maya, whose) manifestations of Sattva, Rajas and Tamas, ever enchant all of us.
3. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who by lifting up the Govardhan Mountain, the symbol of steadfast and deep knowledge of the infinite, by imparting that knowledge in his own words and thus sheltering the mankind under it from the torrential rains, the fears and sorrows of relative existence, and guides them to safety.
4. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who shines with the knowledge of the Pure and the Infinite themes of the Sruti’s, who has given to us the very nectar of the Upanishads in the beautiful jars of this verses and shows the right Path of Action as laid down by the Smriti's.
5. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who destroyed the Serpent Kaliya in the Yamuna - which is but sensuous instinct in human heart, who killed the elephant Kuvalaya representing vanity, who had done to death the demon Chanoor - symbolizing greed & possessiveness, and who also destroyed the most powerful and hitherto unconquered Kamsa - the indomitable anger.
6. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who comforts as a beloved friend and encourages those, who are trying to tune themselves to you (trying to do Yoga), who honor you, or who have realized the infinite. As their teacher, you give paternal protection to all such true devotees.
7. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who runs to receive true but intellectually poor devotees like Sudama - who are devoid of Divine Grace, do not have the capacity to understand the infinite, and to discriminate between good & the bad. Like Lord Krishna, Gita uplifts them all by filling the void of their shortcomings.
8. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who is holding the reins of the horse, the sense organs, which are pulling in different directions for the fulfillment of their wild desires, and thus controlling them all with the whip of right conduct, drives them along the true path and instills into them enough power to save the ‘master’ of the chariot, the ‘ego’.
9. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who seated in the chariot of eighteen-chapters imparts knowledge of how to win the battle of life and death, and thus shows ‘Vijaya path’ to them who are groping in the darkness of ignorance having lost their capacity to discriminate between the right and the wrong.
10. Glory unto thee, O Gita ! the word-form of Lord Krishna, who moving the wheel of the eternal Truth runs to the rescue of his beloved devotee, Arjuna, whose very existence was threatened by the attack of six indomitables (Shadripus) in the form of Bhisma.
Back to Vedanta Sandesh - Nov 98 (NF)
Click here to add your name in the vedantamission mail list
To VM Home Page